Well, everyone!!!
I have officially, just today, been out of the hospital as long as I was in it. This completely blows my mind, as these days tend to drag & morph in to one big miserable sitting spell-- actually, I shouldn't be so negative. I have been blessed beyond words by sweet SWEET friends who come to spend their day taking care of Emmett & end up nurturing my spirits more than they could possibly know. What a crazy ride the past month has been-- when we flipped our calendar over to June yesterday, Dave & I couldn't help but realize we had totally missed May.
Totally.
I could bore you w/all the gory details of this most recent hospital stay... let's suffice it to say I was well cared for but ready to leave the moment I arrived. I checked in @ 12 wks pregnant-- I know it got announced by my dear Lisa here in blogland-- & now I am, by the grace of our Great God, sitting at a healthy 17 wks, not sure if I'm showing or if the belly is still swollen from the trauma, but the beauty is, the baby is FINE!!! & I'm going to be if you'll give me a few more weeks!
I saw my surgeon yesterday. He was happy w/the healing that has taken place w/my infection. Lisa was putting things delicately, but the infection caused him to open my incision back up, so I have been living w/an open wound on my belly. It isn't huge-- not the full 7" of my scar-- big enough to slip your lipstick in, but no one wants an open wound to take care of! (Dave has to change the dressing 2x daily) Now it is much more shallow & looking good & some extra fun little complications that were threatening another opening were cleared up enough that I was blessed enough to avoid a new cutting... I don't know if it makes sense, the point is, I did not have to have another setback!!! GOD IS SO FAITHFUL. I have been steadfastly praying for a supernaturally quick healing as I am nervous about it closing up before my baby bump is really bumping, & here was my surgeon impressed/pleased w/the progress & all I could think was, "I know who did this!!!"
I am trying to stay positive in this new world of your-disease-is-much-more-serious-than-we-realized-&-you-need-to-go-to-the-Mayo-Clinic that I'm living in-- but I confess it is easy to get overwhelmed & feel desperate to FEEL GOOD. I am making appointments to see new GI's, still having weekly visits to my hematologist-- oh, btw, I didn't have a filter this time! (small miscommunication) My surgeon felt is wasn't necessary & I was THRILLED to have one less procedure on surgery day-- & one less thing to recover from. Anyway, we're starting local, & I have been talking w/a guy who has suffered from Crohn's in ways that made me cry & he has encouraged us to eventually (maybe after baby??) go big city-- he thought I might enjoy telling my medical history & receiving an oh-we've-heard-all-this-before response instead of the stunned silence followed by but-you're-so-young that I normally get. We'll see. This isn't supposed to be a Crohn's blog, so I will try not to go there, BUT it is the easiest way to communicate big & when you're exhausted by EVERYTHING, communicating big is big.
In the meantime, I am feeling very very loved. My sweet husband has stores of energy I don't even understand-- he is tireless, endlessly positive & so good to me I can't even get my head around it (& will absolutely HATE it that I've written that, but how can I not?!?). My parents are beyond generous w/their support, physically & emotionally. This month would have been IMPOSSIBLE w/out them being the literal 2 minutes away that they are. The price they've paid (& are still paying) has been high-- a move is stressful enough w/out your daughter's intestines dying-- they are still in the throws of settling in & that is getting old & tedious, as you may well imagine. & all of our precious friends! Oh, my goodness! From neighbors to friends from church, in-towners & out-of-towners, we have been physically cared for w/babysitting & meals & cards & just love. I am blown away, truly, by how the Father shows His love for us-- we are the richest people in the world & if you're feeling poor, try being hospitalized for a spell & see if your wealth doesn't come running. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU to all of you who have prayed for me, yet again, during these days. It has been working, it has been tangibly felt, it has been priceless. I have really really needed it. (& still do, hint hint)
Today's been a big day so far. The first time Emmett has EVER had an entire day away from home without us (thank you, Michelle!!!), the first time I have braved the stairs since my return home 2 1/2 wks ago, the first time I've turned on my computer (don't hold your breath for return e-mails), I'm contemplating shaving my legs (you wouldn't even BELIEVE my leg hair), AND, as a special treat, a drive to 7-11 for a Slurpee. In closing, I am, based on advice from my hospital doc, trying to go gluten free. It really hasn't been miserable, but I am open to any cheats/treats/recipes/favorite brands, etc, that any of you know of. I have an amazing source in my very own family (more wealth!!) but sometimes more is more :)
I know this is long, so I'm sorry, I just wanted to feel normal & I did climb all the way up here to do this, after all. Like I like to say, no one's forcing you to read this, you know ;) & sorry no pics, I'm not allowed to lift over 10 lbs & I think our camera might be pretty close... but Emmett is so cute in his shorts & tees!! I love seeing his body more after the long winter & freezing spring! Mom & I love to take his shirt off after we've been outside-- he is fascinated with his belly, pushing it out, sucking it in, poking & pinching it-- it is quite a show. He is the light of our home, loves being outside & is LOVING having Papa & Grandmother & Mema around to love on him :)
I told you I was rich!!
My "Gaily Painted Lips" self thinks that maybe having an open wound to put my lipstick in might be pretty useful!
ReplyDeleteIn all seriousness, I am so grateful that you and the baby are healthy. Love you dearly, friend, and am anxious for any and all updates!
As soon as I saw you had updated out blog I thought, "yeah! that means she felt up to climbing the stairs!!!" So glad to know your felt up to the task...baby steps! Loved reading your words! Love you & we of course are still praying!
ReplyDeleteYahoo...she is moving up in the world...or at least in the house! I am so happy to hear all the latest and so happy to hear the good reports! I loved the Emmett report as well. I also want to say...just MK's opinion...that I think getting to a bigger place for another opinion...is a GREAT GREAT GREAT IDEA!!! What can it hurt? I am going to be praying about this!!! And everything else...love you!
ReplyDeleteI love you dear friend. You are a hoot! Wish I were there. ;)
ReplyDeletei posted an awesome post a few days ago and now it's not on here!!! bummer! well...i love you and sooooo happy to read this post! i feel like it's just for me :) being so far away...but not for long!
ReplyDeletecan't wait to see you soon!
Emily,
ReplyDeleteHaving had surgery the same day as you, I can certainly identify with May disappearing. What I can't identify is doing what you are doing with a one year old. I am so, so happy (as I know they are) that your parents are now living close so they can help you. As you know, I too am blessed that both Kelly and Jeremy and their precious little ones live close to take care of me. And David's must just be good because my sweet husband has taken care of me like a queen. Hopefully, one day we can all get together since we now live so close. Praying for you sweet friend.
I love you, my dear and we shall compare leg hairs soon!
ReplyDelete