This is random, & no photos to embellish it (read: make it interesting), BUT I have been thinking about things I now do that I didn't do before I was a mom that make me feel like I am officially a mom (besides the OBVIOUS meet-baby's-needs things)...
1. I weekly cut up a cantaloupe. I have NEVER in my life eaten regularly or cut up a cantaloupe. When my mom left us the first time after Emmett was born, I remember thinking, "who's going to make the cantaloupe now??!" True panic :) It makes me feel like a mom, probably because it was always my sweet Mother who was cutting it up for me. I now buy fruit to eat it, people, & not just for decoration.
2. I get up early. NOT MY IDEA, mind you, my little Emmett is 'creatively stretching' me ( or just crazy). I mean that in the nicest way-- the child has woken up at 5:40 for two days straight. This trend MUST NOT continue!! He will not listen to reason... BUT, he does have the sweetest little morning face. So I get up.
3. I watch the news. Now THIS makes me feel like an old woman. I am a news-watcher. Not just the Today Show, the news news that comes on BEFORE the Today Show. Did you know there was news on before the Today Show?!?!? If you need to know your weather, feel free to e-mail me. I pay attention to all the places you live :)
4. I baby talk to myself. I find myself saying things like, "we've got to get dinner going, did you know that?" in a little high-pitched voice TO MYSELF when I'm folding laundry or doing any other various domestic chores, Emmett nowhere in sight (but still safely being cared for).
5. I do laundry ALL THE TIME. How does a 10 lb human equal 5 extra loads of laundry in a week??? Speaking of domestic chores, I do really like them-- there is something oddly comforting & accomplished-feeling about vacuum stripes on the carpet & the furniture looking its true wooden-brown instead of dusty gray (yes, I sometimes have gray furniture). But I've never done laundry throughout the week, always all in one day. Not anymore.
6. I actually eat what's in the fridge. There are no more run-to-the-grocery-store-or-chic-fil-a meals for me. If I eat key lime pie yogurt w/a cheese stick, some meat loaf & a flour tortilla, that is a good lunch for me. Sounds awful, but is... easy.
7. I am so so very content w/the mundane. Now, I have a feeling this blissful okayness w/the mundane won't last long, so let me enjoy it while I can. Or maybe I'll be one of those weird people who don't care that they never get out, rarely wear make-up & flip through InStyle magazine like it's a fairy tale book, OR even more weird, I'll love the mundane & still manage to be an active member of society :) I know these days of my baby being a BABY will end, sadly too soon, but in the meantime, we are taking it slow, canceling plans when necessary, enjoying the 4 cumulative minutes of the sermon we get to hear on Sundays between feedings, fussiness & diaper changes, & not being too hard on ourselves if the best outfit of the week is the switch from pj pants to sweats :) (not cinched ankle sweats, we're not that desperate!)
8. I pray more. A lot more. Darla & I were talking on the phone this week about how amazing it is that you not only get the blessing of this perfect precious baby, BUT the added bonus of feeling God's love for you in a new amazing way. I have a small sliver of understanding of how much God loves me REGARDLESS of my short-comings-- as there is nothing Emmett can do (even waking up @ 5:40!! sinful!!) that takes away my complete love for & devotion to him. I rejoice at every single tiny accomplishment of his, I swell w/affection at each smile, I love every little hair on his head-- & all this is NOTHING compared to the love God has for me, for Emmett, for ALL OF US.
I can't even get my head around that, but I know it is true.
What a great list! :)
ReplyDeleteYUPEEE~!~ I just found your blog and am SOOO excited I did!! Don't worry, I may or may not have just read every single post. I have nothing else better to do..errr, I have an 8 month old currently trying to get into the fireplace. Don't call CPS!
ReplyDeleteYour little boy is precious and it truly is the best thing in the whole entire world!!
Titus is now currently trying to type on the laptop with me. I can't wait to read about your journey!!
LOVE YOU!,
Molly
Oh Emily, your words were so precious! You have had that moment, I guess as a parent, we all have it (hopefully) when we really get it. We finally understand God's love, faithfulness and devotion. We get through the eyes of a little one. Thankfully! We love you guys so much. I loved your list and love you more!
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful, beautiful post! I got to spend a week and a half with Kelly's new little one. Life is good, isn't it?
ReplyDeleteWhat a great writer you are!
ReplyDeleteEMILY!!!! You have a blog???? I am so excited to be able to keep up with you guys. Emmett is so cute!
ReplyDeleteI linked you from my blog. I hope that's ok. We both miss you. It would be so fun to see you guys.
You would just not believe what's happened in Nashville. It's truly devastating. You wouldn't believe your eyes.